p Box o' Spices: Coconut-mint rice

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Coconut-mint rice

I am a big fan of any flavored/spiced rice made with basmati. Biryani,Vegetable rice, tomato rice, ghee rice you name it. If you serve me ten dishes and biryani was one of them, then biryani is all I would be eating. I was looking for a simple and easy rice that would go well with chicken curry. I found this coconut rice on En Veetu Samayal that was just perfect. It was so quick and easy.. no grinding, not much chopping... but turned out so flavorful. The only changes I made were I added some curry leaves. and fried some cashewnuts in ghee and added at the end. And yea... we had a power cut and so I made it in the pressure cooker. And I forgot to add turmeric pwd..hence the difference in color.



Ingredients:
Basmati Rice: 1 large cup (240 ml)
Water: 2 cups (480 ml)
Onion: 1 large. sliced thin
mint leaves: about 10 chopped
Curry leaves: 6-8 chopped
Coriander leaves: few chopped
coconut powder: 2 tsp
ginger-garlic paste: 1 tsp
green chili: 1-2 chopped fine
cashewnuts: a few
Spices:
jeera: 1/2 tsp, cinnamon: 1 inch, Cloves:3-4, Cardamon:2


Heat some oil, add the spices. Then add the onion and saute till tender. Add ginger garlic, chilies, and the 3 herbs. After a minute add the rice and mix well. Dissolve the coconut powder in the water and add. Add salt to taste, mix well and pressure cook for two whistles and allow the pressure to subside naturally. Meanwhile heat some ghee and fry broken cashewnuts. Add the cashewnuts to the rice, mix gently and serve. This goes well with spicy chicken curry or kurma.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger FH said...

I love Paati's dishes.Looks delicious:))

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Yes there are a bunch of dishes I would like to try. including your Madurai chicken curry :)

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We would like to feature your Coconut Mint Rice on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Gayathri said...

Looks delicious

 

Post a Comment

<< Home