p Box o' Spices: Chettinad chicken curry

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Chettinad chicken curry

I know there are countless recipes for chettinad chicken. Chettinad is a region in Tamil Nadu which is known for spicy food and sprawling mansions. The people who lived there were very prosperous traders and bankers who did business in the early 20th century with most asian countries. One of the main commodities they traded in was spices. Pepper especially is believed to be used by them even before the rest of India did. That should explain the abundance of spices used in their cooking.

Most of the recipes for Chettinad chicken involve grinding the spices to make the masala. But the recipe is quite simple and does not involve too many steps.



Roast without oil and grind to a powder:
1 tsp whole black pepper
6-8 red chilies (adjust according to how spicy you want)
1 tsp khus khus
1 tsp saunf (sombu/fennel)
1/2 tsp jeera (cumin)
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 cardomoms
3-4 cloves
1 inch piece cinnamon
5-6 curry leaves (optional)
2-3 tsp coconut powder (you can use fresh grated coconut too if available)

Other ingredients:
1 kg chicken - cut to 1.5 inch pieces
2 medium onions - chopped fine
1-2 medium tomatoes - chopped fine
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp lemon juice
curry leave and coriander leaves to taste

Fry onions in some oil, add curry leaves, tomato and ginger-garlic paste.
When fried well almost to a paste, add the chicken.
Add salt and the ground masala, lemon juice, 2 cups water and pressure cook for one whistle. Alternatively you could cook in pan until chicken is done (you may have to add some more water then)
Add chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 5 min.

Serve with steamed white rice.

Hope you enjoy this.

Curry Mela by Bachelor Cooking
Technorati tag:: :

21 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger SK said...

yummmy... am definitely trying this one out for the weekend...

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi SK...
thanks for stopping by
let me know how it turned out.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Shilpa said...

Oh wow..you have a very impressive blog here. I am a first time visitor. I will link you to my blogroll. Hope you don't mind.

Shilpa

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

oh thanks Shilpa!!
I will link you too...
i have to create a blogroll first :)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger FH said...

Chettinad chicken looks delicious, good enough to try this weekend!! Thank you and visit me if you can and I got you on my blog roll too!More the merrier!! :D

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Asha
Thanks for visiting.
Let me know how the dish turns out.
I do enjoy your recipes too :)

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Wow.. the picture looks attractive . I love chettinadu recipes.Thanks for the recipe.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger princessyogi said...

Hi!

I found this recipe on the curry mela blog. I made it yesterday and WOW!! It was yummy. I did skip the coconut because I did not have any but next time I'll try it with coconut. This recipe is a keeper.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Prema: Thanks for visiting. I love chettinad food too. There are so many restaurants in Chennai now, but hardly any here in the US.

Princess Yogi: Am so glad that you tried the recipe. I usually reduce the coconut to a bare minimum, but if it tastes good without it.. why not.

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey lovely colourful backdrop! Love Chettinad food, but Im vegetarian, hence collecting some chettinad recipes on another blog where I've been translating them from tamil. Its called chettinadrecipes.blogspot.com

If you like Vegetarian chettinad food, there are some interesting things to try!

It's my first time here, got here thru Asha's..

Cya around

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger sailu said...

First time commenting here. I love your backdrop. Very colorful indeed!!

I have so many versions of the Chettinad chicken. Will book mark yours!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Nandita
Thanks for visiting. I agree there are sooo many yummy veg chettinad dishes too. I will checkout that blog.
Will see you around :)

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Sailu
Thanks for visiting. Glad you like the backdrop. Need to make few more changes to the template. sometime.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Mahek said...

hi
spicelover
i am always on a lookout for chettinad chicken recipe after having it at kerala where i was on a tour.
your recipe sounds simple , i had tried a recipe from NITA MEHTA'S
"chickenrecipes" and it was good
i will try out yours and let you know.
bye
thanks for the recipe
mahek

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Mahek
Yes this recipe is quite straightforward. Everyone has a different recipe for chettinad chicken, so I think even if you omit or change the ratios of a few spices, it's ok. Just don't omit the red chilies, pepper, cloves and cinnamon.
Do let me know how it turns out.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Thanks Venki

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger Raj said...

It's a nice curry.
BPO work from home

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog.I really like your content.Thanks for sharing.


Genuine Data Entry Jobs

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for such a post most of the time content used in blogs are other manipulated or of duplicate nature. But here I would really appreciate your blogging skills.


Company Registration in Delhi

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Cool said...

I liked the way you wrote. Excellent Post. Thanks a lot.
work from home jobs

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Cool said...

Excellent post.!!!

Mehndi Designs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home