p Box o' Spices: Vazhakai Poriyal

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Vazhakai Poriyal


Vazhakai is raw plantain or banana. A poriyal (dry curry) or Podimas (dry curry made with mashed plantain) made from this is one of the staples at any wedding lunch. It is a very simple dishto make but somehow I have never made it. This was my first attempt and a made up recipe remembering the taste from years ago.


Raw banana: 2
Mustard seeds, urad dal, jeera: 1/2 tsp each (i add more urad dal for extra crunch)
Curry leaves
Sambar powder: 1 tsp or according to spice level

Peel and slit the banana lebgthwise into two. Then slice into 1/2 cm thich slices.
Boil in salted water until soft or pressure cook. I add some turmeric powder in the water too, but this is optional. (I think pressure cooking for 1-2 whistles should be suffecient, I did for 3 whistles, and it became a but mushy. would have been perfect for podimas. But i liked the end result a lot)

Heat some oil and add the rest of the ingredients. When they splutter, add the dry banana and sambar powder. Fry for about 5 minutes, stirring occationally and gently. Serve as a side with rice and sambar.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Sia said...

we too make this same way. we call it balekai(plaintai) palya(subji/bhaji) in kannada. it is very loved food in my native. i guess 1 whistle is enough when u pressure cook it.
the pics are really good.
before i foget u can add me to ur blogroll. i will send u the registered paper on consent later;)

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Sia said...

i made a typo. i meant plantain..

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger jacob said...

nice and simple and nostalgic for me. but what i want to talk about is really your earlier post about the door-turned-coffee-table. what a find! it's gorgeous. could it be from the erstwhile princely kingdom of kapurthala? congratulations, and i'm so jealous:)

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Sia: Hmm palya = poriyal. i always felt that there is a lot of similarity in tamil and kannadiga cooking. esp idli, dosa and sambar.

Jacob: You are so right... I heard it as kapoor tholah. was wondering what tholah meant. haha.. i guess I need to brush up on Indian history. I will correct it on the post.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger FH said...

I love Plantains too.Last week I bought 3 and didn't cook for 4 days and they turned yellow.But when I cooked them,they didn't taste sweet at all,so all went well!:))

Looks wonderful and simple recipe.Must taste great with rice and sambhar.I will try next time and post mine too later sometimes.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Asha: Yea I think they last a while in the fridge. Mine were there for about 10 days.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Seema Bhat said...

SP,
I love balekai(Plantain) and everything made out of it even this palya. Loved the first picture. Beautifully captured picture.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Seema: Thanks for your comment. I will look for more balekai recipes on your blog :) I only know this one dish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home