p Box o' Spices: Hotel Kurma

Monday, October 02, 2006

Hotel Kurma

It has been a while since I blogged. Actually its been a while since I cooked much. But I’ve been blog hopping and telling myself ohhh this looks soo good. Or ooo I should definitely try this. And I must say I am amazed at the quality of the photos in many blogs. It makes me feel so amateurish to post the pictures I take. But hey, it’s a learning experience.

I used to live in Chennai and like many others often went to Saravana Bhavan. It’s the place to go when you want a quick, no-nonsense meal. And now every time I visit, I try to make one trip there just to have my favorite “Parotta-kurma”. I make kurma my mom’s way (I will post that recipe some other time), but always wanted to re-create the one they served at SB. This is the closest I could get. Hence the name “Hotel Kurma”

But there is one ingredient that I add just because my husband and I loooove it. And that’s Soya chunks, or mealmaker as we call it. You either love it or hate it, so pls feel free to omit it.



Grind the following to a fine paste:

Grated coconut 1/3 cup
Khus khus 1 tsp
Saunf 1 tsp
Onions 1 chopped coarsely
Diced tomatoes 1 cup
Green chilies 4 (or more)
Cashews 1 tbsp
Ginger 1/2 inch

Other ingredients:

Mixed vegetables - 3 cups (carrots, peas, beans, potato, cauliflower) – boiled or microwaved till half cooked
Mealmaker – handful.
Onion – 1 large - chopped fine
Tomato – 1 - chopped fine
Garlic – 3 cloves – chopped
Garam masala – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Bay leaves, Jeera, cinnamon, cloves, elaichi
Coriander leaves, curry leaves

Fry onions, garlic, bay leaves, jeera, cinnamon, cloves, elaichi and curry leaves.
Add tomato, turmeric pwd and cook for a while.
Add ground paste, salt and garam masala. Cook for about 15 min or till smell of onion goes.Add vegetables, simmer for 5 min.
(Meanwhile boil some water with salt. Add the soya chunks, cook for 3-4 min. Drain and squeeze out the water. Add to kurma.)
Add chopped coriander leaves. Serve with rice or roti.


8 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger FH said...

WHOA!! Hotel kurma!! You are killing me now!! I am going to cook this, put it up there with credit to you some time later!!:))
I saw your comment at Tony's!! You don't stop blogging once you move, are you? That would be sad to me,I like your site!!:(

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Thanks Asha. You try it out and do tell me how it was. A gourmet chef like you trying my recipe... am flattered!!!

no i wont stop blogging once i move. maybe for a couple of weeks. i will try to post lots of pictures from india... make you feel nostalgic :)

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hotel kurma looks delicious...

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Thanks Prema

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Foodie said...

It looks delish.
Ummmm can't wait to make it.
Might as well visit my blog zaayka.
I have posted few recipes.
keep it up.
Foodie

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Thanks foodie!!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

I just tried your recipe the other day - you are right it is a lot like the SB kurma - thanks so much - I really was looking long and hard for a good kurma recipe and think I finally found it!!

Radha

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger ELVIS said...

what is meal maker ?
What ingredients ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home