p Box o' Spices: Spinach dal

Friday, October 06, 2006

Spinach dal

Sometimes we crave Chinese food, sometimes we crave chicken, and sometimes Mexican. And then there are times when you crave simpler things like dal and rice. It’s not really a craving but a feeling. It’s like you are content with life, don’t want anything fancy. Just simple dal and rice and maybe some pickle. Dal and spinach dal take the exact same effort thanks to frozen spinach, so I made spinach dal using super quick recipe.



Moong dal - 1 cup
Spinach - 1 packet (10 oz or about 300 grams)
Onions - 2 medium
Tomato - 1 large
Jeera – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Sambar powder – 2 tsp
Tamarind paste – ¼ tsp or juice of tamarind – 1 tbsp
Chopped ginger and garlie - as per taste

Pressure cook moong dal along with the frozen spinach (as is) and 3 cups of water and some salt for 2 whistles.
Meanwhile heat some oil and add jeera, ginger, garlic. Add the onions and fry till brown. Add the tomato, turmeric powder, sambar powder and cook for 5 minutes.
Add this to the pressure cooked dal. Add tamarind juice/paste and some more water to get a batter like consistency.
Cook for a few more minutes.
Serve with hot white rice and pickle. Maybe some potato chips too.


15 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Yeah its true that sometimes we crave for dal and rice.. I love it with papad or chips. Thanks for the recipe and spinach dal looks lovely with rice..

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger FH said...

Your spinach dal looks excellent! I must say you are good cook!!

Yesterday we had your Hotel Kurma and parathas for dinner and my kids who usually doesn't like veg much, loved the kurma!They said next time I should add chicken to the gravy!!:D:D Will do!! Thanks!!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Thanks Prema. Yes i love simple no-fuss dishes too.

Asha: Thanks so much for the compliment :)
Great to that you liked the kurma. Anything that makes the kids eat their veggies is worth it i guess.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

wow SP, you have some nice recipes here:)

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Thanks Priya...
I enjoy your recipes too... and bookmarked quite a few of them :)

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Shruti said...

hi dear,
many food lovers we have here...
and its nice that we get different receipe from different people..
yummy it is....
i am also a food lover but dont know how to cook well..my mom always says what you will do afetr marriage and my anwer i will marry to a cook who will always pampered me with his great dishes......

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Shruti
Yes i love food. I love to cook too.. but would love even more to have someone cook for me :)

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger KK said...

Wow! Spinach Dal, I love it... just waiting for that E-coli thing to get over....I love the combo that you had mentioned Dal, rice and pickle.
BTW is that an Omlet (out of focus) in the picture :) I am hungry now :)
Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope to see you around.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi KK. welcome... will see you around. am hoping to start another non-food blog too.. when i get some time. am too busy moving now.

yes it is an omelet. was a tasty one too that day.. egg whites and one whole egg, with onions and green chilies.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Shah cooks said...

Nice recipe and even nicer backdrop to the blog. I normally don't add spianch and tamarind together to dal. Now I am curious to how it will taste. Thanks.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Shaheen
Thanks for your kind words
I used to make spinach dal without tamarind too. But its kind of like a thicker sambar if you think about it. just a li'l but of tamarind adds a nice zing to it i think.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger KK said...

Hi!!! I tried your Malai Mutter Panner. It came out well. Thanks for the reciepe. :)
Hmmmm.... you are telling me about omlette and making me hungry. :)
Do let me know when you create your general blog, would like to read it. :)

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Thanks KK. nice to hear the mutter paneer turned out well. Sure will keep you posted about the new blog. maybe soon after I move.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Nidhi said...

I am here for the first time and really liked your blog a lot.

Your recipe is very colorful and healthy...dal in itself is very healthy as it is rich in Proteins, but addition of Spinach is making it even more nutritious. I make kadhi as well with baby spinach.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Nidhi
Welcome!
Yes this is one of our frequent dishes, esp with the abundance of spinach here now. Kadhi with spinach sounds interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home